Re: [IP] bg's after bolusing (was eating out)

Michael wrote:

> > Good advice,  Ruth.
> >  Another rule of thumb I was taught was 1 hour after eating you bg should
> > never be above 180, Two hours after eating should never be above 150.
> This rule of thumb is for regular insulin. For Humalog, the bg's
> should be relatively flat. If bg's are 50 points high after 1 hour,
> you must bolus for the 50 points plus that much again for the next
> hour. Always calculate the 'unused insulin' or 'unused carb' and
> compensate accordingly.
>
> Michael
> email @ redacted
> send the next two lines in a message
> info
> end
> to the e-mail address: email @ redacted

Hopefully someone can help me with this.  Kayla's bg is NEVER less than
180 one hour after eating.  (She uses Humalog, so by Michael's post, she
should be about where she was before eating - doesn't happen.)  However,
within four hours she is back in the normal range.  But she's usually in
the 200's one hour after eating and slowly comes back down over the next
three hours.  If I compensated at one hour with more insulin, or even if
I gave a bigger carb bolus, she'd be going low four hours later.  I
can't seem to grasp "the big picture" of what is going on here.  Any
advice?

Kasey