Re: [IP] Camp Caution

Randall Winchester:
Re: Camp Caution
Your message begins:
The problem begins when some "professionals"

Much applause to your writing.

Paula
----------

On 21 Jul 98 at 15:40, email @ redacted wrote:
> here, but I think any child who is adequately "educated concerning
diabetes"
> by parent or dr. will not get involved in such activities.  ellen

The problem begins when some "professionals" punish their patients
for "non-compliance" when their numbers aren't on target.  Some of
these people still think that if you follow their instructions
exactly then your bg values will be fine - period.  If your numbers
don't fall on target, then you've been a bad, bad, bad, bad person
and you must be punished.  It doesn't matter if you've had the flu,
been exercising a lot or unable to exercise for some reason - you
just aren't worth much as a person because you don't "measure up."
One of my biggest challenges in counseling people with medical
problems is dealing with these quacks.  Many of them are highly
respected "medical profesionals" who just don't want to understand
human physiology as it relates to insulin, metabolism, activity and
diet.  Like our often mentioned "Dr. Death" and his "one-basal-rate
fits all" approach, they oversimplify the world using faulty
assumptions and then punish their patients for their own failures.
It doesn't take too many visits to a doctor like this for even adults
to start "fudging" or outright falsifying test results.

Sometimes children want to please their parents, doctors and others
by having "good" values.  This is an additional pressure that is
often placed on children - that their value as a person is somehow
linked to their bg values.

The key is education - of the professionals to where they understand
that these bg values are point measurements in time and are only
useful as data points to help refine analysis and treatment.
Education of the patient to the point of understanding that the
values are not measures of how "good" you are but instead are
measures of how effective the doctor's treatment plan is.   Only
then can the numbers become useful tools instead of score points.
The best regimine, treatment plan or strategy is worthless if it
cannot be complied with - and for too many years people with diabetes
were given unworkable regimines to try to deal with and then punished
when the plans didn't bring about the desired response.

Any child who is adequately educated and dealt with rationally and
fairly probably won't fall prey to these types of activities.  Any
child who finds that they are being scored and valued by their bg
levels will quickly begin to invent these activities themselves as a
survival mechanism.
Randall Winchester

send the next two lines in a message
info