[IP] RE: "Dark Ages" revisited

PJB in Niagara Falls
Paula Berketo
IDDM 32 of 34 years

    I just read what you wrote about your grandmother, and how you still
hate the color orange. LOL. That's great. I never thought of the reaction in
the Clenitest  tube as a "nuclear reaction" but I do appreciate the humor
now. It did generate a lot of heat in the little kit we used to have to
carry wherever we would go.
    I too remember the needles, 27 gauge X 58", that were chrome plated. I
did have to learn how to re-sharpen them on a piece of sandstone. The nurse
that worked in the lab at my doctor's office gave me lessons on that! I
remember the tiny pieces of music wire I had to use to push through the
needle to insure there was nothing clogging it. Ted, Bob, either of you ever
do this? After sharpening I would use a dry cotton to insure there was not a
barb. Ouch!
    I guess those were "the good old days"! (?????) No thank you, I will
pass. I love the new technology we have now. I love the ultrafine needles. I
love my pump. We all have some good days and some bad ones but for the most
part I wake up in the morning feeling better than brand new!
    Paula, your grandmother had to learn from experience that she could take
enough insulin to counteract almost anything she wanted to eat? Maybe not.
At that point in time they tried to make all young diabetic children think
that if you ate anything with sugar in it it would kill you! Ha. I look back
sometimes and just about crack up! It is really funny with the knowledge we
have now at our fingertips.
    I think it was Ben Franklin that said "Too soon we get old and too late
smart". We still have time in our lives to learn much. There is not a day
that passes that I don't learn something new about diabetes. Some things are
significant, some are not but we still learn and are the most educated bunch
of patients that ever lived. My hat is off and my heart goes out to all of
you. The youngsters, you have much to look forward to and you have little to
worry about. There are some of us that have to deal with more of the harsh
side effects than others but we are still learning and hopefully can help
some of our comrades that have to ride the same train at a different time.
Hang in there! It is getting better all the time. One day there will be no
diabetes. . . . . . . . .

Buddy '-)   email @ redacted

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted