From: Ruth Elowitz <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] From Carol Wasson: bolusing while on Vacation
Date: Monday, July 20, 1998 6:20 PM

Try starting with the largest # of carbs you are absolutely sure is there =
and
bolus for it.  Check your timing -- if you timed your boluses right for =
eating,
test about 1/2 an hour after you finish eating (later if you took your =
bolus right
as or before you ate).  If your blood sugar is rising (greater than 150 =
and seems
to you to be going up) take one unit or the amount that will get you from =
where
you are to 80.  Check again an hour later (you can do this every 1/2 hour =
for 2-3
hours if you are meticulous).  Same thing except do not give the dose if =
your bg
dropped below 130.  Its a kind of catch up method but it sometimes offsets
=
my
tendency to overestimate or to forget that restaurant meals with lots of =
fat can
be slow and to end up precariously low after eating.

Michael wrote:

> > I recently went on vacation for the 2nd time while on the pump. I =
would
> > definitely say that the pump improved my control while in unusual
> > circumstances, but my biggest problem was after eating. I would never =
count
> > the crabs right and would always end up in the 300's after a meal.
> > Does anyone have suggestions about bolusing for uncountable carbs in a
=
meal.

to the e-mail address: email @ redacted