[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

[IP] Another veteran's story

Okay, here's my story.

I was diagnosed around the first of February, 1962, having just turned eight
the end of December.  I was immediately admitted to Children's Hospital in
Omaha, Nebraska.  The fnext morning, having been started on insulin already,
they brought me oatmeal for breakfast, with no sugar of course.  I refused to
eat it without brown sugar.  (I was a very stubborn young girl.)  Well, you
can imagine the insulin reaction I had with no food in me.  So, don't remember
what the solution was, but we managed to work out some food that I would eat,
that did not require sugar.  I was soon feeling good enough to have wheel
chair raises in the halls with other sick kids.  I thought they were worse off
than me.  Well, than I came down with some infection and they put me in
isolation for a while.  Boy, was that boring for a second grader.  But, my
racing friends were still there when I was spring from isolation.  I ended up
being in the hospital almost the entire month of February.  And, I managed to
stay out of the hospital until I was in college.  I think I had flu, but
knowing how I had been living in those college years, it very likely was
ketoacidosis.  Only there a couple of days.

I also was not allowed to leave the hospital after diagnosis until I could
give my own shots, learning on the proverbial orange, though I progressed to
my leg very quickly.
I spent years on PZI and Regular, one shot a day, probably until high school,
when they changed my to NPH and R. Somplace along the way I graduated to 2
shots per day, where I stayed until going on the pump in 1983.  I had a
wonderful pediatrician in Omaha when I was first diagnosed named Dr.
Getgood(spelling is questionable)  He believe that children with diabetes
should have some flexibility with the strict regimen of diabetes, so my diet
was more flexible than some.  The old clinitest tablets were part of the
routineas well as trying to fool my parents into thinking the test came out
blue (was my favorite color at the time.)  Now, I can't hardly stand blue.  It
must remind me of the scam I tried playing.  I remember the glass syringes and
steel needles, boiling andstoring them in alcohol.  What a joy when they came
out with disposable syringes and smaller needles!
Those were the days!  Boy, am I ever grateful for the advances that have come
along for this disease.  I am so thankful that all the young people these days
with D don't have to live through all the unknowns that we grew up with.

Well, enough rambling, and thanks for listening.
Beth Smith

(OOPS, I messed up somehow and left lots of blank lines in my story.)

Insulin-Pumpers website http://www.bizsystems.com/Diabetes/
For subscribe / unsubscribe information,
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted