Re: [IP] Bad Site?

Boy, I'm really behind on my mail!  Can you tell?!

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.  I changed the set and things
improved.

I need to make time to use the basal adjustment thingie on the website, I
think.   My BGs are much better than they were on MDI, but not as good as I
think they could be with the pump.  I am jealous of Lily being able to
maintain normal BGs most of the time.  I seldom go over 200, and even less
often over 250, where previously this was a regular occurence, but I feel
so much better when my numbers are lower, that I really want to eliminate
the 200s completely, if that's feasible for me.

I really do intend to try the Silhouette again.  It's just a matter of
timing.  I can generally get 6 days out of one filled cartridge, but I
switch the sets every 3 days.  Since SofSets and Silouhettes are
incompatible, I need to start my 6 days with a Silouhette, and swithc to
another, and I just haven't found the right time.

However, I think I will be more likely to do so in the near future, since I
discovered today that I have enough fat on the sides of my hips (low, away
from the bone) for a set insertion.  (I'm not really fat, but I have the
normal padding of a grown woman.)  I can actually *see* this area well
enough to consider it a serious possibility.  When inserting in the tummy,
it just seems to me that I might as well use SofSets, as they work okay and
are familiar to me.  But I have decided they are not for my butt area,
after having to remove one because it got sore from laying on it in bed.
And my husband cannot do a Silouhette insertion (he gets lightheaded
pulling the insertion needle on a SofSet), so I need a spot that I can
reach and see well.

Thanks for all your great work on this list and for being so responsive to
my questions.

--Laurel

----------
> From: Michael <email @ redacted>
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Bad Site?
> Date: Monday, July 06, 1998 2:09 PM
>
> I just changed my Sofset yesterday mid-morning.  Most of the day it
seemed
> as if my blood sugars did not want to go down, no matter how much I
> bolused.  Then they went down dramatically for a little while, but then
> right back up again

That's how you tell. Sometimes (maybe) it just sticks into something
inside or the tissue gets too damaged by the insertion (who knows).
But your symptoms are very typical of site corruption.

> I am slightly ashamed to say that I have not tried the Silhouette again.

Shame, shame (heh... heh...) the Tender/Silhouette/Comfort set is
great for backside and thighs. Sleeping is OK with it just above the
butt (according to my daughter, Lily).

>.  That needle (and the pain I experienced with my
> first try) is admittedly pretty daunting, too!

Put it in at a VERY SHALLOW angle.
send the next two lines in a message
info
end