[IP] Charlene Rosman <email @ redacted>

I had a similar problem when I switched over to Humalog from Velosolin
about a year and a half ago.  Because Humalog acts sooo quickly, my
blood sugars hurled me up and down, and WOW what a roller coaster ride
it was!!  I was miserable.  The problem for me was getting my basal
rates set correctly again.  My greatest difficulty was in changing my
mind set.  After using the Velosolin for quite a while, it was difficult
for me to convince myself to vary my basals into the patterns that would
make the Humalog work--for instance, I had to really push up my night
basals, especially in the very early morning hours, and reduce my late
morning ones.  (My Velosolin had a pretty big shadow effect, which
tended to reduce the amount of night insulin I required.)  To figure out
just what was going on, I had to intensively test and very carefully
control my exercise, my diet, everything--until I could get some
accurate numbers for a basal.  Now my control is great, and those
problems are long past.  But it can take quite a while to figure out
those basal rates.  I love Humalog now, and you couldn't get me to
change for anything.  It is possible, that since your Velosolin basals
are working and you are not having trouble with the Humalog when
injecting, that you are experiencing something similar.  John Walsh's
article on using Humalog in a pump that he sends out with his Pumping
Insulin book (through Torrey Pines Press) was very helpful to me in
knowing what to do and expect with Humalog.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted