Re: [IP] Ouch Ouch Ouch

Miranda:

About two years ago the same thing happened to me.  The site was swollen,
very red, hot, oozing and very painful.  I think I waited a few days too
long to go to my endo and by then the infection was serious.  He
immediately put me on a very strong anti-biotic, told me to soak the spot
two or three times a day with warm/hot water with epsom salts dissolved in
it (draws out infection) and also gave me Fucidin cream to put on the spot.

After being on the antibiotics for about a week there was little change, in
fact I was feeling "grotty" (new word from John Neale) = awful and now by
blood sugars could not be controlled.  I was over 450 for days despite
numerous increases in insulin.

By the time I got back to me endo (one week since the spot developed) I
could barely sit up straight, was pale as a ghost and felt really really
grotty.  He rushed me to the hospital (an hour away - this hospital
specializes in diabetes).  My infection, which was not draining or
responding to antibiotics was spreading.

My abcess was lanced and drained.  I passed out during the procedure.

Within a few days almost everything was back to normal.

Turns out, I was alergic to the medal needles and now only use the Comfort
Sets.

Word of warning - as soon as you suspect infection, run don't walk, to the
doctor.

I suggest getting a standing prescription for such things - sometimes
waiting a day or two can make a big difference.

My tiny incision scar - clearly visible on the left side of my belly button
is a continual reminder of what waiting can do.

Needless to say, it has ruined my swimsuit modelling career!!!!!  That and
several thousand other needle marks in my abdomen (and a perfect ring of
beautiful white stretch marks thanks to my 12 lb. 1 oz. three week early
son!!!!)  I always preferred one piece suits anyway.

Regards

Paula

----------
> From: Miranda Schatten <email @ redacted>
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Ouch Ouch Ouch
> Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 10:47 PM

I left my pump site in 2 days too long (bad me :( ) and when I took it off
there was a painful "boil" there that looks kinda like a volcano.  I put
some neosporin on but don't know what else to do.  Anyone know what it is?
It also oozes yellow fluid, but all my sites do when I remove the cannula.
Is this normal?

Thanks!!
Miranda

Ann Arbor, Michigan
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~mirandas

If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate.

send the next two lines in a message
info
end
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted