[IP] Re: Re: catalyst for Type I?

	I actually had Lyme's disease just prior to my diagnosis, although
I have evidence of some metabolic disturbences going back to four years
prior when I had mono. My dad was diagnosed (with Type 1 by lack of
C-peptide) after a cold). No other family history.

I believe several papers have been written suggesting various organisms
responsible for "triggering" diabetes. Last time I looked the list was
quite exhaustive including EBV (mono), VZV (shingles and chickenpox),
CMV(a very common virus), HBV and HAV (hepatitis A&B), and RSV (one of the
common cold viruses). With the exception of the hepatitis viruses, these
all fit under the heading of "common childhood illnesses" that somewhere
between 70-90% of the population has had before the are 25 years old. One
theory is that there may be a "viral parasite" - a virus that needs other
viruses already present before it can work (like the hepatitis D "delta"
virus which needs HBV to infect), but I don't know of any good evidence of

On the subject of genetics:
	Type 1 diabetes has been "linked" to several MHC (Major
Histocompatibility Complex) genes. Specifically MHC subtype DR3/DQW8 have
been implicated but there may be others. These genes are considered
"codominant" meaning that any gene of this class inherited is expressed.
It turns out that everyone inherits ~12 different versions of this gene
from each parent (these are also the genes that ideally should be matched
for organ transplants). These particular subtypes are really common (over
40% of the US population) yet only a tiny fraction of them (1% of the
people with the linked genes or ~0.25% of the total population) ever
develop Type 1 diabetes.

	This type of behavior of genes contributing to our developement
and health is probably much more common than the Mendelian
(dominant/recessive) type of inheritance which is more widely known and
more easily studied. It strongly suggests interaction with some other
factor(s) like stress, viral/bacterial, other environmental exposure, some
other recognized gene, and random chance. This means that patterns may be
found in families but it has a very large component of chance.

Jeremy A.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted