[IP] Re: I'm a Veteran, too!

I'm a "veteran" too!  I celebrate my 32nd anniversary with IDDM in November
(National Diabetes Month)  Like some of you, I have seen tremendous changes
in the treatment of diabetes.  I started out on one shot (with glass syringe
with a needle that was horribly thick and painful) of PZI insulin.  At the
time, it cost $1.25 per bottle.  Some years later when disposable syringes
became more available, my parents purchased them for $13.86.  I was ten
years old when diagnosed and thought, "how special, I have something no one
else has!"  I know you are laughing but I think that attitude has helped me
live these 32 years relatively complication free.  I didn't view it as
something horrible and back then, there were no psychologists to help you
through the initial adjustment period.  My parents had all the bad
information...they only gave me the necessities to do the every day stuff.
    I'm 42 now.  I have the absolute best medical team in the world (in my
opinion) and I owe my positive attitude and my pig-headedness to keep
healthy to my parents -- most of all, my Mom.  She was the one that boiled
my syringes and sharpened those horrible needles and also the one that took
the time to prepare the right things to eat.  Those early days were the key
to my good control today.
    How many of you remember or experienced learning how to do your
injections using an orange and an insulin bottle filled with water?  the
skin of the orange was supposed to simulate our skin (I'm so glad my skin
wasn't THAT tough!!!).  I remember the doctor's telling me that I couldn't
be released from the hospital until I could do my own shots.  When the red
letter day came, I took great delight in dropping that water drenched orange
in the garbage.  Oh my!  What a splat!
    It's so much easier to take care of ourselves today.  Foods are easier
to find and labels are "diabetes friendly" for those of us who count carbs.
My podiatrist told me that if I hadn't told him I had diabetes, he never
would have known by examining my feet.  My endo tells me that I'll die with
diabetes but not because of it.  Those are the kind of things that make you
continue to work hard and take care of yourself.  Of course, I also have a
wonderful husband and a great son  . . . real inspirations!
    I'm sorry this is so long but I just wanted to share!

    Jane Dohrmann

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted