Re: catalyst for Type I? [was [IP] Prednisone]

In a message dated 7/16/98 8:53:18 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< For me, I think I'm a good example for the stress-induced theory. I was
diagnosed in 1989 two months after I went away to college for the first time.

I think stress is the culprit for me, too.  I can't remember any major
illnesses other than a cold or two before I was diagnosed.  I was 27 years old
at the time and had a 3-year old son.  My son did not go through the terrible
twos.  He had the thoroughly horrible threes instead.  I must be quick to add
that he is a wonderful kid, now that he is almost 12, and I have no
complaints. But, three was H-E-double toothpicks!  By four, he was an angel.

I have never told my son of this theory, and I don't ever plan to, I wouldn't
want him to feel responsible in any way.  It is not his fault.  But this is
the ONLY thing that I can think of that would be a "trigger" for diabetes.  I
guess I'd rather think it was just the luck of the draw.

Incidentally, I first noticed the extreme thirst on Christmas Day, 1989.  I
was officially diagnosed 4 months later, and in that time, had lost 10% of my
body weight, looking rather anorexic. (I'm small, so 10% was a very
significant portion.)  In addition to the thirst and its partner, frequent
urination, I had tingling in my fingers and toes.  I didn't notice how tired I
was until I started on insulin June 14, 1990.  I went to the doctor and told
him I suspected diabetes after looking at a medical book.  My internist
originally said I was type 2 and had me cut out all sugar from my diet. Two
weeks later, when the diet didn't help much, he put me on oral meds.  That
made absolutely no difference, so then it was insulin--2 months after
diagnosis.  I felt better within two days.  I honestly don't believe I was
ever type 2.

Mary Jean
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted