Re: catalyst for Type I? [was [IP] Prednisone]

In a message dated 7/16/98 10:53:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< my stress hormones worked up. Since I had no illnesses prior to being
diagnosed, and since my BGs were only 400 with no signs of ketones or weight
loss, I can only assume I hadn't been a diabetic long. >>
There is an unknown time frame from the onset of beta cell destruction to the
diagnosis of DM.  Remaining functioning beta cells can produce enough insulin
for some time to let your body use the glucose.  Stress hormones raise BG, and
if the remaining insulin producing cells cannot meet the demand, then BG
climbs.  Stress did not cause your diabetes, it just revealed it sooner.

Barbara B.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted