From: James P Lyons <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Re: Causes of Diabetes
Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 11:06 AM

Well I thought I had heard/read that they HAD found a gene that was=20
linked to type I...acutally they found a few. (3?) no one of them seems=20
to be a "you will have diabetes" kind of indicator, but the presence of=20
any one of them seemed to say "keep a watch out" (I don't remember if=20
risk increased with multiple presences) -- It was fairly recent=20
(in the last few years)...But looking at it from another perspecitve, =
why=20
should it not be hereditary.  -- what causes it, an autoimmune response=20
to your beta cells....So that means that your body made antibodies to =
its=20
own cells, (granted it may have been trying to fight  off an infection =
at=20
the time)  The body isn't really supposed to do that.  Which indicates=20
some sort of protien synthesis error, hence a genetic trait, and we all=20
know where genes come from.  I have a father and a cousin who are IDDM=20
type I, as well as myself....not hereditary?  Its not hereditary in the=20
simple "if both parens have blue eyes what will the kid have" type=20
thing,, but there is definitly predisposition passed down.

-James-
send the next two lines in a message
info
end