[IP] Re: Re: Causes of Diabetes

My endo has never backed me up on this one but after reading all the E-mail
and talking to so many people I am sure there are enough cases to write
some sort of serious medical paper.....

My grandmother had type one which is what I got when I was three.  My
doctor says type one is not hereditary.  I know many families who have more
than one family member with type one.  Can anyone provide any written proof
that type one is not hereditary.

Several fellow IDDM's developed diabetes after chicken pox.  I had diabetes
for 20 years without any problems when I got chicken pox.  Within six
months I had severe delayed absorption.

Several other pumpers have said they got diabetes after viral infections.
I know you are very likely to get IDDM after having shingles (which is like
internal chicken pox isn't it???)

Always interested to hear more - either personal experiences or medical
writings.

PJB in Niagara Falls.
----------
> From: Michelle LaPlante <email @ redacted>
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: Re: catalyst for Type I? [was [IP] Prednisone]
> Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 10:57 AM

Bonnie,

This bring up an interesting topic. I've heard many different thoughts over
the years from other Type Is who all claim different catalysts for their
disease. I'm curious what others think caused their beta cells to be
attacked?

For me, I think I'm a good example for the stress-induced theory. I was
diagnosed in 1989 two months after I went away to college for the first
time. Leaving my family for the first time, moving all the way across the
state, I think this is definitely what got my stress hormones worked up.
Since I had no illnesses prior to being diagnosed, and since my BGs were
only 400 with no signs of ketones or weight loss, I can only assume I
hadn't been a diabetic long.

What are other people's theories?

[reply to Bonnie's msg:]
Randy,
>My diabetes was the result of a bad virus infection.  I had a bad >sinus
infection  which put me in bed for two days (this from a >person who is
never sick in bed for anything).  Six weeks later >with BS 1205 I was
diagnosed in the hospital with Juvenile
>diabetes Type I.  My doctor finally agreed that the virus >apparently got
into my pancreas and killed those cute little >buggers that make insulin.
I had to stay in the children's ward (I >was 44 at the time) for several
weeks.  No diabetes history in my >family.

>So whatever you call the "flu", if it involves a fever, infection or
>trauma
>to the body, it can trigger diabetes. I have a hard time believing it >was
the Prednisone?  but who knows?
>Bonnie

Michelle M. LaPlante
Developmental Editor