Re: [IP] Re: Humalog and Heat

Bob:

My endo is very suspicious about all the info I relay from the pumpers
about Humalog degrading with heat or time.  You seem to be more specific
and scientific than most of the medical people I know, yet I have not had
problems with this and Humalog myself.  My endo passed on to me that the
insulin producers certainly must have tested insulin for degredation and
advertise that the insulin only loses .5% of its potency after one month at
room temp.

Any further help or proof???

Not to be skeptical but my endo is fairly well regarded in the province.

PJB in Niagara Falls

----------
> From: Bob Burnett <email @ redacted>
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Humalog and Heat
> Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 10:40 AM

Katie:

I had experience last summer when a fresh cartridge of Humalog "spoiled" in
my pump in less than two hours in the sun and heat that was around 95
degrees.

Changing my site, yet using the same insulin brought no relief. I changed
the cartridge, primed the infusion set again to "flush it out", and things
returned to normal fairly quick. I always seemed to have problems when the
Humalog got real warm. I definitely noticed this when I wore my pump inside
my neoprene fishing waders all day during real hot (more than 80 degrees)
weather. The waders kept me somewhat comfortable, but the insulin never
seemed to like the experience. I was not using any special insulation
around the pump at these times.

Another possibility is that this only affects some people, due to subtle
changes in the insulin. YMMV is probably a good statement here ;-)

Bob

mailto:email @ redacted

<snip>

Katie wrote in response to Ted:

>I agree about losing absorption at the site with humalog in some people
(as I
>experience this myself although it took a year before this started
happening)
>but the heat and losing strength I'm unsure of. I have heard the site
problem
>repeated over and over with our list humalog users but not about the heat.
>
>I shower with my pump which warms the insulin and I live in Houston with
100
>degree temps and I have not noticed a problem. But I do not work all day
in
>the sun either.
>Katie

send the next two lines in a message