Re: [IP] RE: Many years

To Beth and Bob and Buddy and all those with diabetes for many years.

Hear in Canada Novo-Nordisk presents a limited edition print of Banting's
homesteae to individuals who have been on insulin for fifty years.  I hear
that the Joslin Clinic has a medal presented to 50 year IDDM's. At the CDA
Niagara Annual General meeting this spring we had two recipients - both
women.  One lady, Val Holochuk is a pumper.  As an aside, the pumpers were
the best represented support group in attendance.

I have been planning to receive these awards for several years.  (I figure
everyone needs a goal to work towards).  This is why I asked if anyone had
diabetes for a long time.  These people are certainly an inspiration.

I also remember testing my urine and waiting for the almost nuclear
reaction to take place before seeing the magic colour appear.  To this day
I still am not a huge fan of the colour orange.  Or of corn syrup for that
matter.  This was what my mother used to treat my lows with and I can
remember waking up with corn syrup in my hair :-( .

My grandmother had diabetes before me and it is her that I owe my good
genes and lack of complications to.  My mother often tells me of my
grandma's diet.  NO starches.  She lived for thirty years (the first thirty
after insulin was discovered) with few problems.  And apparantley - no
cheating.  This was despite being the best Hungarian cook and baker
ever!!!!  During my public speaking I bring along some old diabetic
wonders.  My glass syringes, my injector (I only learned to give myself a
needle without the injector when I went to university) and my grandmothers
original syringes and needles - which are now over fifty years old.  For
all of you thinking that needles are not fine enough you should see these
things.  They are at least the same thickness of four present day needles
put together.  My grandpa had to sharpen them every several days - YIKES.

I was lucky enough to have a progressive family doctor who believed someone
with diabetes should not be called a diabetic - but rather a person with
diabetes.  He also believed that diabetes should in no way interfere or
limit my life.  For the most part this has remained true - and certainly
something I always work towards.

I look forward to hearing similar stories from people who have had diabetes
for such a long time.

For those parents or individuals newly diagnosed take heart.

PJB in Niagara Falls
Paula Berketo
IDDM 32 of 34 years
----------
> From: Bob Burnett <email @ redacted>
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] RE: 39 Years
> Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 9:04 AM

Paula:

This is a label I'm proud to wear ;-)

I've been Type 1 for at least 41, probably 42 of my 46 years. No
complications that I know of, and absolutely no interest in discovering any
that have not been categorized yet ;-)

Bob

mailto:email @ redacted

Paula wrote:

>to: Buddy Barber:
>
>39 Years - WOW - You are my hero.
>
>Who else out there has done that much time???
>
>PJB in Niagara Falls
>34 years old
>IDDM 32 years
>No complications yet.