Re: [IP] Please help me!

I'm so sorry to hear of your difficulties (and of course, Megan's).

I'm wondering:

Have you been changing the insulin in the pump as well as changing the
infusion set? Feedback from users varies, but many have experienced
problems with Humalog in the warmer weather. Might be worth thinking about.
Is it unusually hot where you live?

Is Megan showing any ketones during these "adventures"?

It appears that Megan is fairly sensitive to insulin, and requires very
little insulin for adjusting boluses. What's the possibility that she is
going hypo, then "rebounding"? Sounds like she's been very active lately,
perhaps more than usual. Are her basals still valid, or do they need

Is it possible the Humalog itself is causing problems when infused? This
might be a bit of a "stretch", but I can't help but wonder.

I had much more frequency of blood in tubing, etc. when I was using
Humalog. Until someone perfects "see through skin" I can't tell for certain
what was going on in the sub Q layer. I wonder if the Humalog was really
irritating me, or increasing the blood circulation in the tissue, causing
blood to back up into the tubing. I had similar difficulties with high BGs,
"resistance" to High BG adjusting boluses, and site problems. Basically, a
lot of bouncing BGs, fussing with sites, sets and cartridges.

Sorry I've got more questions than answers ;-(

Please keep us in the loop, holler if you need to.

mailto:email @ redacted

No snip - it's all important detail ...

>I have been up half the night trying to figure out what is going on with
>Megan.Last week when we were on vacation I had to change her infusion set
>daily. She was very active rolling around and playing etc and kept getting
>blood in her tubing and would shoot up to 400. Changing the set brought her
>back down quickly.
>Yesterday she shot up to 400 during the night. I changed the set in the am.
>Her blood sugar went down to 79 pre-lunch. She had her normal amount of carbs
>and bolused accordingly. By dinner she was up to 359. Bolused for high bg
>an hour later gave her dinner with her normal carbs and bolus. At bedtime she
>was 109-had her snack and normal bolus. Checked her at 11 pm up to 275. Bolus
>.5 units. Check her again at 1am shes 479! WOW! Bolused 1 unit. Checked in
>hour 478. Removed infusion and injected 1.5 units of Humalog.
>When I took out the infusion there was no blood on the needle or tape but her
>butt bled lika a stuck pig. I observed the needle and saw insulin dripping
>from it-could smell it too. Then I bolused 1 unit to check the flow and it
>flowing out of the needle no problem.
>I am in tears! Megan's hip area looks like a pin cushion. She will not let me
>put in the Comfort or the Silouette. I do not know what to do except give her
>butt a rest and put her back on MDI. Any suggestions????
>WE need an infusion set for little kids. Disetronic sent the 6mm Rapid to the
>US without getting FDA approval-now we have top wait AGAIN!!!
>Thanks for any help
>Judy C.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted