Re: [IP] Jeremy - Prep cleaning

I was on the tennis team in high school and told to use alcohol to toughen
my hand and in turn develop callouses.  This was necessary to prevent
blisters because we practised so many hours each day.

I therefore assumed alcohol would not be a good thing to use on fingertips
were you do everything possible to avoid callouses.

PJB in Niagara Falls

----------

email @ redacted wrote:

> << Even though I don't normally
>  recommend alcohol for cleansing,  >>
>
> Jeremy,
> Why don't you recommend alcohol for prep cleaning? I have never used
anything
> but acohol.

Alcohol is NOT as good as people keep saying it is. Mind you, diabetics
have
a slightly different situation than most people, and alcohol is useful for
certain situations, particularly cleaning dirrty wounds in emergency rooms.

Its really no more than a reasonable solvent that helps them remove dirt
from wounds without needing to be rinsed off, as with soap and water.

A study was done in Britain some years ago. Many Type 1s taking insulin
were divided into those using rubbing alcohol vs those not. There were
5 infections during the study and ALL of them were using alcohol for
injections.

Problem is that alcohol dries out the skin, leading to cracking and
subsequent infection. It also doesn't kill germs per se, it just removes
most of them when it dissolves the existing dirt on the skin. Actually
another study found it only rearranged the germs there, diodn't kill any
or really reduce then total number present noticeably.

Also SOME germs or viruses can live in alcohol. If you had the bad fortune
to get certain Staph germs in the alcohol it would SPREAD them to others,
at
least in a clinic or hospital setting.

I haven't used rubbing alcohol in at least 8 years, and ave had NO
infections
at infusion, injection or test sites, and don't know anybody who has.

Ted Quick
email @ redacted
Type 1 for 42+ years
send the next two lines in a message