Re: [IP] Re: Running Out of Insulin

Katie wrote:

><< I had forgotten to clamp
> the tubing off prior to disconnecting from the pump. Once I disconnected
> both ends of the tubing, it drained completely and quickly. >>
>hey Bob,
>I use the tender and have never noticed the insulin draining out of the
>when I disconnect both ends. It does some with a little air into tubing but
>not draining. What sets do you use? I've thought of attempting this myself as
>an experiment.

I had the "cannula connector portion" hanging down, with the luer lock
connection higher up. When I disconnected from the pump, insulin drained
right out - just like if you take a straw, place in a glass of liquid,
place your finger over the top, then lift it up. The liquid remains in the
straw (pretty much) unless you take your finger off the end - then it
drains out.

>The first thing I've always done when I get an empty cartridge alarm is to
>reset the pump to full cartridge because there is anywhere from 4 - 10 units
>in the end of the cartridge depending on how precise I was when filling.

A cartridge empty alarm is a 01. I thought I got a 04, which is an
occlusion alarm, resulting from the plunger stopping at the end of the
cartridge (or from an actual occlusion in the tubing / site). I don't
typically run my cartridge this low, so I'm not always that precise when
filling the cartridge. If I actually had less than a full cartridge when I
started, I think I'd get an 04 alarm before I got a 01.

Your trick is worth remembering though ;-)

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted