> Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 19:42:57 -0400
> From: Bob Burnett <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] FINGER TIPS
> I'm a frequent BG tester - sometimes more than 10 times a day, if I'm
> really active. It took me a long time to realize that I have 10 fingers,
> each of which has 2 sides to use for testing. For years, I over used the
> same few fingers and this led to hardening of the skin.
> Some hints which helped me:
> 1)  Use the *sides* of the fingers, rather than the pads. Blood flow tends
> to be better there, and it hurts less.
> 2)  Use a pattern for rotating your finger prick sites. That way, one
> finger won't get used too often. I use the same side of each finger on each
> hand, then move to the other hand, using the same side on the other hand.
> Then, it's back to the first hand, but the other sides of the fingers, etc.
I am relatively new to this - diagnosed only 6 months ago, testing BG
4-8 times a day since then, but I am still having problems with fingers.
I have been following pretty much all Bob's advice (received from
diabetes nurse here, and books), but have some problems/questions:
1.  you write that you use all 10 fingers - including thumbs?? - my
thumbs seem too hardened, and also too much in use for me to have
considered pricking them - maybe I should reconsider!
2.  I find that the *sides* of my fingers hurt much more, not less, than
the pads, and don't seem to have very good blood flow, except at the
very end - does anyone else have this experience, or am I doing
something wrong perhaps?
3.  Also one side and pad of the index and middle fingers on my right
hand are so callused from pen-pushing, that there is little territory
left on them where there is a good chance of drawing blood.
4.  The little fingers are more painful and just don't have much space
on them for finger pricks.

This leaves only 4 good fingers!!

Any ideas??  Since I will be starting on a pump soon - looks like the
Disetronic, starting in early September - I am likely to be testing BG
more not less, and dont want to run into problems with fingers.

Nanette Freedman
Email:  email @ redacted
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted