Re: [IP] Colorado insurances

Kim --

    I did the insurance research circuit about a year and a half ago,
although I am in California so it is not exactly the same.  Legend has it
that California is the absolute worst state for insurance unless you work
for a high tech company or large company with a very comprehensive plan.  I
don't know if that's true so I hope Colorado is better!

    In California, the only medical insurance you can buy if you have had
diabetes for a significant amount of time, have asthma, diabetes + any
complications history, etc... is "high risk" policy which is given out on a
lottery, costs a fortune and doesn't cover much in terms of co-pays.  A year
and a half ago, we figured out that I would pay $2-500 per month in
insurance bills (depending on which program you chose) and another $200-1000
in medical bills depending on if I went to the doctor, bought contacts (mine
are about $250 every 3 months) etc.  I called the state looking for help and
they told me that if I had kidney failure they would cover my medical
supplies as long as I wasn't earning more than $500 a month (a one bedroom
apartment in this area starts at about $700).  Needless to say, this was not
very helpful.

    Cobra is your best bet -- it will cover much more than anything you can
buy as a diabetic (I understand that New Jersey is easier on this one and
Texas worse so you might check again) and it is less expensive.  You should
be able to change providers with a Cobra so that if you are unhappy with
Kaiser you can get other coverage.  Another option (I had a Kaiser policy
this last year) is to use Kaiser for basic stuff -- meds and labwork (find a
doctor who will just order what you ask for) and make a deal with an
endocrinologist or pump doctor to pay separately (possibly at a discount
since you don't have insurance) for those kind of needs (including the eye
exams).  This may cost you far less than buying meds on a regular policy.
Kaiser does cover pump stuff.

Best of luck!

Ruth