[IP] Re: DMLIFE New to List!

Hi Patty,

Thanks for the welcome.

I was on a couple of different orals for just a few weeks each back in
about 1990.  The whole time I was taking these, my BG just kept
climbing.  Finally, my doc (still seeing PCP at the time) suggested I
try insulin.  Everyone just assumed that I was a Type 2 because of my
age and the fact that I was overweight.  Also, diabetes runs in my
mother's side of the family.  Late in 1997 and early 1998, an Endo had
me try Glucophage along with my insulin -- it didn't help either.  A few
months ago, another Endo ran a whole bunch of tests and determined that
I was really a Type 1 Diabetic.

As far as the docs go ...  My first Endo is a very good doc, he just
doesn't believe in pumps for anyone (he is also old-fashioned)  From
information that I got from MiniMed and Disetronic reps, he has put less
than 10 people on pumps since the two of them combined can remember.  My
last Endo was the "Doctor From Hell."  He made lots of promises and
never followed through.  When I asked him why, he got offended because,
after all, he was the doc and I was only the patient.  Anyway, I fired
him about a month after I first saw him.  Since then, I have been back
to Endo #1 -- but because I want a pump I am going to see a new Endo in
a few weeks.  The new Endo is only about 5 minutes from where I live
compared to the other 2 Endos that were 30 - 40 minutes away.

<< I have heard a number of stories about people initially diagnosed as
II ending up as Type I.  How long did it take for you to make the
transition from orals to insulin?  Did they run a C-peptide test to see
you were making any insulin?

If I were taking 6-8 injections a day, I'd want a pump also.  I would
that this would make your regimen much easier to handle.   Why was your
endo opposed to putting your on a pump?  There are many experienced
on the list who can give you great advice!

Again, welcome to the list!

Patty Hatch >>

		For a healthy heart ...
		Give your Faith a workout!