Re: [IP] Humalog and other questions

>>  One thing I'm going to do is start using
> > Humalog in the pump.  I was weary in doing so because I know it hasn't been
> > formally approved for pump use, and if for some reason the pump is
> > malfunctioning, the risk of ketoacidosis is higher given it's short lag time.
> > So my first question for people out there...what are your experiences with
> > Humalog in the pump?

I was using Humalog injections before going on the pump. My CDE told
me to be sitting at the table to take it. It dosen't work that fast
for me. going on to the pump there was no question that I would use
Humalog. It's fast. But you will need to change the way you calculate
changes to your basil rate. In the "Pumping Insulin" book I think it
says Regular starts to work in 30 mins and is gone in 4 to 6 hours.
Humalog starts in about 5 mins and is gone in 3 to 4 hours. I was
told to start my adjustments 2 hours before the high and stop at the
high, only to adjust one tenth of a unit at a time.

I'm still working on the rate, I've been on the pump for a month.
Since that time my highest bs has been 289. Much better than I
was on the shots.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted