Re: [IP] Will the true canula volume please stand up?

Mary Jean, I was confused about this too, so I went to the lab to measure
it.  The silhouette cannula requires just a tad over 0.75 units (0.77) to
completely fill it.   So if there is no air at the end of the tubing
(sometimes I find that banging the free end around causes some insulin to
leave the end), then you should bolus 0.8 units just to fill the
silhouette.   I don't know where the 1 u on the package came from, but
maybe when someone measured it after connecting it together, they had to
give 1 U before they saw insuling coming out the teflon catheter.  If so
that extra 0.23 must have been required to fill the end of the insertion
p.s. minimed doesn't make the silhouettes, so I don't think they will do
anything about this.  And for most pumpers, 0.2 u isn't enought to worry

<<<<<<<<<<From: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Will the true canula volume please stand up?

Ok, I know we've been over this before but I notcied something strange as I
was changing my set this morning.  I use MiniMed Silhouettes, and get the
"combo" packs.  There is an extra canula for each complete set with tubing so
you can change the canula mid-week without having to replace the tubing and
refill or replace the syringe.

Anyway, on the paper cover of the set it lists "deadspace" which I assume to
mean the volume of the empty canula.  The weird thing is, on the package with
the complete set (tubing and everything) it says the deadspace is .01 ml (1.0
unit) and on the package with the canula only, the deadspace is listed as
.0075 ml or .75 units.  These came from the same box and have identical lot
numbers and expiration dates.

So, now I'm confused again as to the "real" volume of a
Silhouette/Tender/Comfort set.  This info is printed on the paper covering the
plastic "tray" that the sets come in and has the MiniMed logo on it.  I
suppose I should write to MM and try to get the straight scoop from them.  I
am curious of anyone who uses a tender or comfort could look on their
packaging and see if it says anything about "deadspace".

Mary Jean>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wayne Mitzner
615 N. Wolfe St.
Baltimore, MD 21205