Re: [IP] Will the true canula volume please stand up?

To be honest, I think the answer is "All of the answers are correct, but
YMMV". I still look at the instruction sheet when I get a new box, to see
if anything has changed.

My Tenders used to indicate a bolus of .5 was necessary to fill the "dead
space" (the space inside the cannula which is vacated when you remove the
introducer needle). When I used Comfort sets before that, they indicated
the same amount was necessary.

My Tenders sets now indicate a bolus of 1.0 units is needed to fill the
space in the cannula. The Tenders went through a slight design change some
time ago, but I think this had more to do with eliminating the "wings" from
the sides of the Luer lock connection and adding little "tabs" to the paper
backing to make it easier to remove. The Tenders are now described as
"ergonomically improved" or something like that. Perhaps there was a change
in cannula size /  volume as well?

If users are able to detect a difference in BG levels when they fill the
cannula to .75 units as compared to 1.0 or .5 units, that might be
important. Kasey's daughter might notice this, for example. Some users are
pretty responsive to small amounts of insulin ;-) For me, it makes no
difference at all, so I go with 1.0 unit to fill the cannula.

Sometimes labels are more confusing than the confusion they're supposed to
eliminate ;-(

mailto:email @ redacted

>Ok, I know we've been over this before but I notcied something strange as I
>was changing my set this morning.  I use MiniMed Silhouettes, and get the
>"combo" packs.  There is an extra canula for each complete set with tubing so
>you can change the canula mid-week without having to replace the tubing and
>refill or replace the syringe.
>Anyway, on the paper cover of the set it lists "deadspace" which I assume to
>mean the volume of the empty canula.  The weird thing is, on the package with
>the complete set (tubing and everything) it says the deadspace is .01 ml (1.0
>unit) and on the package with the canula only, the deadspace is listed as
>.0075 ml or .75 units.  These came from the same box and have identical lot
>numbers and expiration dates.
>So, now I'm confused again as to the "real" volume of a
>Silhouette/Tender/Comfort set.  This info is printed on the paper covering
>plastic "tray" that the sets come in and has the MiniMed logo on it.  I
>suppose I should write to MM and try to get the straight scoop from them.  I
>am curious of anyone who uses a tender or comfort could look on their
>packaging and see if it says anything about "deadspace".
>Mary Jean

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted