Re: [IP] Responses to my concerns about my son doing his own blood tests at camp and school

Alan,

    Yes, people reuse their lancets even for years.  After about 6 months
my get a little dull so changing them is for comfort.  Someone used to
have a joke about hospitals teaching new diabetics to use lancets so that
they could give away the years worth of free ones others left on their
hands.   There have been long threads about this in the past on this
list.  I've only ever heard of one case of infection and that was b/c the
individual needed to wash something off their hands.  Most important, of
course, just don't put alcohol on his fingers.

   Incidentally, some of the fear about needles in schools is related to
worries about potential HIV exposure.  Some places, teachers send kids
with cuts and scrapes to the nurse b/c school doesn't want them creating
waste materials with body fluids on them in a classroom where someone
could accidentally come into contact with them.  While this seems kind of
harsh, I have to admit that it was much easier to teach the kids that they
could never know for sure and just to always be safe than to let people
make guesses about who may or may not have HIV.  If you think diabetic
kids get treated badly, try being a kid with HIV!   Anyway, if there are
no needles floating around and strips are disposed of safely they should
be less anxious.