[IP] Responses to my concerns about my son doing his own blood tests at camp and school

I received the following responses (summarized)

> Ruth Elowitz <email @ redacted> wrote
> Subject: Re: [IP] Self-testing at Camp
>     Can you make the case that b/c your son is taking
> responsible care of his > diabetes, he needs the tools to allow him
to do so.  You
> might point out that> the 15 minutes it takes to get to the nurses
office could
> be a serious problem if he is actually low and doesn't test and
react.   What if
> the nurse is not instantly available for instance?  That could be a
> bigger liability for them.. . . You're probably best off only using
a single lancet and bringing it home to change monthly:
Ruth:  Thanks  We've tried the tools and 15 minute argument, but are
planning to combine it with the information below and try  it again.
The single lancet idea is a very good one.  He could bring the kit
home (he usually carries it in his fanny pack, and we could change it
at night.  Once a month?  Do people reuse the same lancet for a month?

 Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 11:45:16 +0000
Randall Winchester" <email @ redacted> Wrote:>

> The camp's position is bad, at best.  It is discrimination and
> against federal law - the ADA has been used successfully to sue and
> get damages.  Also, ask if they would like media attention
> - how they  want to discriminate against your son, and interfere
> his medical > treatment?  Offer to get a lawyer and a reporter on
the case, and
> then offer the "temporary compromise" that your son be allowed to
> test when and where he needs to as appropriate.  He is more exposed
to liability by refusing to > allow a person with diabetes to take
care of medically necessary tasks or
> by making unreasonably difficult to take care of these tasks.
> Randall Winchester

We're going to escalate the pressure, perhaps with a lawyer threat,
but camp only lasts 4 more weeks, and Reed is not secure enough right
now to endure a big public fight.  I think that is possible if later
we take on the school board.  If we lose the argument, long term I
think it's the only way to go.  Thanks

> http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0q_100.htm">children with
> DIABETES - School Bill of Right...</A> Try this site for
information, I found
> it quite useful.  Good resources.  I don't know what state you are
in, but
> this may be helpful.
> Barbara B.

We tried it, and it was very useful, especially the consent degree
which requires Kindercare to allow responsible children to do their
own tests.  We've sent it to the camp.  The site and its home page are
excellent sources of information regarding diabetes generally, though
not much specific to pumps.  Thanks

All best

Alan Shusterman

send the next two lines in a message