Re: [IP] Self-testing at Camp

On  7 Jul 98 at 12:37, Alan Shusterman wrote:

> Today, a staff member at camp (a teacher or school nurse) brought up
> to the director how this would not be permitted at school, and the
> director immediately became terrified of the liability.  He worries
> that Reed might drop a lancet (which someone could step on or find and
> tell their parents) or there might be some problem with blood.  He
> believes there is only a one in a million chance of a problem, but a
> much greater chance that the appearance of a problem would make him
> liable.  Beginning tomorrow, he says, Reed must come to the nurse's
> office each time he needs to test.

The camp's position is bad, at best.  It is discrimination and
against federal law - the ADA has been used successfully to sue and
get damages.  Also, ask if they would like media attention - how they
want to discriminate against your son, and interfere with his medical
treatment?  Offer to get a lawyer and a reporter on the case, and
then offer the "temporary compromise" that your son be allowed to
test when and where he needs to as appropriate.  Call your local home
health office and ask for a small sharps container - I got one that
is about two inches long and about three inches long - ideal for
lancets and the other sharps involved with pump therapy for a few
days.  He is more exposed to liability by refusing to allow a person
with diabetes to take care of medically necessary tasks or by making
it unreasonably difficult to take care of these tasks.

Randall Winchester

* misunderstood something.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted