Re: [IP] Re: leg jerks, etc. with low bgs

Bob's .02:

As I recall, the original thread concerned exercise / running with low BGs,
and how it affected folks. In these situations, I tend to agree with
Celia's thinking. If I'm low, I typically have "less time" to react, should
my BG drop even further. Sure, a high BG requires my attention and should
not be ignored, but I generally have the "luxury" of additional time to
correct when my BG is high.

This seems to be an area where YMMV.

My tendency has always (over 42 years) been for my BG to drop rapidly. It
does *not* rise nearly as quick. I need to be very careful when exercising
with low BG. For me, running on low is much too close to "running on
empty". There is little margin for error.

mailto:email @ redacted

>> >Celia wrote:
>> >
>> >  It seems to me that a low bg is an emergency whereas high
>> > bg's can allow more time for correction.
>> >
>> Ruth Elowitz wrote: This depends on the insulin you've got coming.  With
humalog or with
>> blocked tubing it is not
>> true.  Your blood sugar goes up every bit as fast as it goes down.

Celia continues:

>Sure it may climb fast, but going or being high for some period of time is
just not as dangerous
>as going or being low for that same period of time. I thought that
everybody with knowledge about
>and experience with diabetes believed this! The major concern (for me and
most) is the brain
>damage which will occur with a low bg, especially if is sustained. I
certainly want my lows
>treated quickly...

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted