Re: What I tried, was: Re: [IP] tendonitis, somewhat lengthy article

> For those of you who think you *may* have something like this going on, get
> it checked. I didn't realize how much I missed cross country skiing, golf,

I second that, the worst thing you can do is ignor the problem. If you
catch it early and start on a program to manipulate the joint and
strengthen the surrounding muscles, you will be way ahead of the game.

> My problem was officially diagnosed as a "severe sprain of the rotator
> cuff". My orthopedist indicated that my shoulder was close to being
> "frozen". Nothing showed on x-ray, etc, so the diagnosis was based in large

> capsulization. (is that a word?)

> Stretchy rubber bands, available from your friendly physical therapist,
> often work well to restore strength. A series of stretching exercises, a
> minimum of twice a day, helped restore the range of motion. The meds helped
> initially. Ultrasound therapy and electro stimulation brought relief when
> things were real stiff and painful, helped the physical therapy
> manipulation / stretching stuff work better.

Yes, yes, yes and yes!!!

One of my shoulders flared up about 2-3 years before the other. The first
healed on it's own without any loss of range of motion. It still hurts a
little and I can not throw a ball hard without pain. The second one was a
real son of a b---h. Many cortisone injections and 3 times a week
manipulation for almost a year and a half were required to restore motion
from about 20% to 95%. Two ladies would bend my arm wayyyy back. One
would hold me down and the other would crank the arm by rotating it back
around the elbow -- hurt like hell -- sometimes there would be a sharp
pain and a loud popping sound and the joint would move a little further
back. For a few days it would be really sore and they would continue to
work the shoulder. The good news is that the increased range of motion
would stay, and in the end the shoulder works again and is much like the
other. i.e. OK, but don't throw balls. heh... heh...

I don't mean for it to sound so grim. It is endurable and in the end it
worked, at least for me. My doc has had the problem and advised (advises)
to nip it in the bud before the joint gets to hung up. Less pain, less
time involved to fix the problem. This was (is) seconded by the physical

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted