[IP] Swimming with a Disetronic was Choosing a pump

I swim almost daily with my Disetronic.  The first time I did, I was
concerned when I saw the water in the cartridge chamber.  The tech rep
said it wasn't a problem.  Looking at the tappet from a design point of
view, it is clearly NOT water tight.  The tech guy said that the
waterproof-ness of the pump comes from the seal at the motor housing.
The tappet simply minimizes the amount of water coming into the
chamber.  The insulin itself is sealed top and bottom with a pair of
O-rings in the grey adapter (thhing that is screwed on top).  I just
wipe the chamber dry with a Q-tip whenever I change cartridges.

I don't use the spare.  A couple of times I have had to send the pump
back for repair (I had a battery leak and stain the battery
compartment), but generally I just keep it in reserve.

<<<I perceive I might have appeared rather pedantic in my advocacy of =
silhouette / tenders.  Of course everyone is entitled to her beliefs
and =

My understanding is these infusion sets differ from others in that, by
virtue of the offset connection between the site and infusion tube, =
combined with a transparent cover over the canula, the wearer can =
directly view the infusion site while the canula is inserted. =20

Is this also possible for users of the sof-sets?

I disconnect to swim or shower, leave the pump running and reconnect a
half hour or so later with some regularity.  I think having a pony tail
hanging off like the sof-sets do would be awkward.  Perhaps someone =
cares to comment?

I feel being able to visually inspect the site gives me flexibility to
decide to leave the tube in a day or so longer, if the site is not =
becoming irritated, red or swollen.  Twice I saw I was starting to =
bruise so I changed earlier than I otherwise would have. =20

The tender instructions specify <30 degree insertion angles.  I tried =
>30 once and had a kink.  Now I go with very shallow insertion angles.
Maybe 10-20 degrees.  I experience very little sensation  of pain while
doing this, and after needle removal, sensation at the site is nearly =
imperceptible even when I touch it.  I'm also getting less itching at =
the site lately.

Seven months on the pump, hba1c 5.5%.

BTW, is anyone regularly swimming with their Disetronic pump?  I got =
some moisture in the insulin cartridge chamber the last time I did.  Is
this normal?  I dried it off when I changed cartridges and it seems to
be OK.

Also, BTW, how often are D-pumpers switching to use the spares?  I =
haven't used mine yet.

email @ redacted>>>
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted