[IP] Swimming

> Richard,  I keep my disetronic pump on while I swim.  Since I am on Humalog, I
> find this works better especially since I swim for 1-2 hours.

Your Mileage WILL vary. Lily always takes her pump off while
swimming, does not bolus the missing insulin and many times will need
extra carbo to keep from getting low. This varies with the water
temperature. Your energy / heat loss are directly affected by both
the level of activity and the water temperature. Below 80 degrees F,
you may need extra carbo if you are swimming hard.

Lily, brother Charlie and I just returned from a week of swimming and
skin diving at Catalina. The water temp there is about 72F. Lily
needed no insulin + 10 grams an hour while skin diving with a full
wet suit. This was consistent from day to day. Skin diving is a
little more strenuous than swimming (except competition). Bare
skinned, the numbers were about the same for playing and swimming in
the surf.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted