Re: [IP] basal rates?

Hi Lee,

The MiniMed 507 divides the 0.5 units of basal insulin into 0.1 unit
increments and delivers one every 12 minutes.  In other words, your
hourly basal rate is always divided into 0.1 unit increments and
delivered equally during the hour.

When you suspend the MiniMed 507 pump, you lose the basal amount during
that time.  If you are going to suspend your pump for very long, it is a
good idea to take a bolus of whatever you will be missing before you
suspend it.

I'm not an expert but I hope this helps you.

I have a question about insulin pumps to which I'd like an answer.
I use a MiniMed 507 pump, by the way.

My question: when is the basal rate delivered?  Say that I've set the
basal rate to give me 0.5 units per hour.  Does it deliver this in
fifths (0.1 unit at a time)?  If so, when?  Does the pump computer
divide the 0.5 units into equal parts and deliver them at regular
intervals throughout the hour?

Again, what happens when I set my pump on "suspend" and then restart
it?  For example, say that I suspend my pump for 1/2 hour, and that
it should normally be giving me 0.5 units during that hour.  When I
resume (take the pump off "suspend"), does the pump still deliver the
full basal amount for that hour, only in different amounts and at
different intervals?  Or do I lose my basal for the period during
which the pump was in "suspend" mode?

I have no clue as to how the basal rate is delivered.  Maybe there's
something about it in the manual, but I don't remember it.

Any elucidation from the experts here would be much appreciated.

- -lee- >>

		If your Bible is in good shape ...
		Your life probably isn't!

E-Mail - mailto:email @ redacted