Re: [IP] Re: leg jerks, etc. with low bgs

Thanks for your note, Ellen.

email @ redacted wrote:

> Celia, I have had the same experience with a fast dropping BG.  In fact, it
> happens alot while I am running.  I try to prevent it by eating something if
> my BG gets to only 80.  That prevents me from going low.  That's good that you
> detect it early so you can prevent a low before it happens.

At least now that I've learned to trust what my body is telling me! Certainly when
I first got bg test strips in the early 1981, I found them to be a godsend - I'd
feel lousy, I'd test, and I'd take action if the level was too low (Previously,
I'd feel lousy, reason that I'd just eaten supper an hour ago and hence couldn't
possibly be low, do nothing and later wake up in an Emergency Room). It took me
quite a while, though, to realize though that history doesn't play much of a role
in my future... As one of my cycling partner says (and he's perfectly correct) "If
you don't feel right, just EAT - RIGHT NOW! - You can analyze the situation

>  Since I have hypo
> unawareness, I have to test every few miles which is why I would really like
> that glucose sensor.

I just hope that they can build one which is accurate! All of my reading
indicates that, thus far, any non-bloodletting means of determining bg levels are
really unreliable. It's pretty scary (especially to some of us who always seem to
be at the extremes of  any statistical sample) to see the researchers relying on
all kinds of statistical methods in their non-invasive bg "guesses".

>  BTW, when I was pregnant(before pump) , many years ago,
> I would have the symptoms of low BG (dizziness, double vision, etc.) when my
> BG dropped from 200 to 100.  It reinforces your belief--and mine--that a fast
> drop in BG causes hypo symptoms.

Yes. I have certainly experienced "low bg"-type symptoms (eg., that insatiable
hunger) at high levels too.

> I also agree with you about Kirez.  I have been diabetic for 38 years and my
> body is about as unpredictable as it has ever been.  The pump helps alot, but
> my body is NEVER predictable with the same situation b/c NO situation is ever
> the same.  I used to hate it, but now I kind of enjoy the challenge every day.
> I take care of my diabetes as best I can and am pretty laid back about any
> problems that occur.  We only have limited knowledge and getting stressed out
> about every situation only makes the condition worse.  I find that being
> relaxed, but vigilant about care, has helped my total diabetic control
> immensely.  ellen

We're of similar temperment here. I just humour my body, and am, in fact, usually
amused by the devious tricks it plays on me. I view it more as a game (ie., just
pure fun) rather  than as a challenge (which to me has "success" or "failure"
ratings attached)...

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted