Re: [IP] Traveling

Lori wrote:

>If it isn't written yet, when is it advisable (how many hours difference) to
>reset the pump clock?  I'm going just one time zone over, but my schedule
>will be markedly different than real life, so I'll probably rise about 2.5
>hours later than "normal" of 5am.  I can normally go +- 1 hour without
>seeing any great changes.

I just returned from a trip to your neck of the woods. This is a one hour
difference for me, and I didn't bother to change my pump clock. I was in
town for slightly longer than one day, and had no problems. My basal rates
are pretty well set, and I think this helped considerably. If I was in this
time zone for two days or longer, I would have reset the pump clock.
>In August I'll be going to Ireland, which is six hours earlier.  I have NO
>qualms about skipping a meal if this makes life easier?  It is likely to be
>a stressful trip after the initial 3 days because of the company I will be
>asked to keep.  If anyone (John??) is familiar with foods, how different is

This time change will undoubtedly require you to change your clock,
especially if you are spending any significant amount of time in this
location. I've heard different things from different people, but I've
generally been able to change my pump clock as I cross time zones (I live
on the East coast, so most of my travel is to time zones "earlier" than
mine). Folks use different techniques for managing the time differences - I
don't think there are any set recommendations.

I try to watch for situations where a change in the pump clock results in a
higher basal rate being delivered *again*, since this can cause me to go
low. In other words, if my basal rate normally drops from .6 to .2 at 7:00
in the morning, and I cross into an earlier time zone, I need to watch it.
Setting my clock back at 7:00 by an hour would result in the higher basal
rate being delivered for an additional hour. This has the same effect as
setting a temporary basal *increase* for one hour at the higher rate. This
is probably the single most important thing I watch for, since I try to
avoid travel hypos at all costs ;-)

This adjustment is most significant for me in the morning hours, when my
*humongous* dawn phenomenon kicks in . I test more frequently for the first
couple days in the new location, and things generally settle in o.k.. When
I travel home, I might set my pump clock to my "home time" before leaving,
since it's easy to forget to change it once I arrive back home. This might
require a supplemental bolus, since I may "skip" a basal rate, but it's
easy to take care of. It's generally easy for me to test while travelling,
so setting the clock like this is not a problem.

The stress (both from travel, and the company you keep) can affect your BG,
so frequent testing is the best way to avoid surprises.

Sorry I can't help with the food issues - I hope that information is
available from other list members.

Enjoy your trip ;-)

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted