Re: [IP] basal rates?

Lee Lockwood wrote:
> I have a question about insulin pumps to which I'd like an answer.
> I use a MiniMed 507 pump, by the way.
> My question: when is the basal rate delivered?  Say that I've set the
> basal rate to give me 0.5 units per hour.  Does it deliver this in
> fifths (0.1 unit at a time)?

Yes, MiniMed pumps deliver in 0.1 unit increments. The basal dose is
spread evenly around the hour, as I understand it.

If so, when?  Does the pump computer
> divide the 0.5 units into equal parts and deliver them at regular
> intervals throughout the hour?

No, that's how the Disetronics works.
> Again, what happens when I set my pump on "suspend" and then restart
> it?  For example, say that I suspend my pump for 1/2 hour, and that
> it should normally be giving me 0.5 units during that hour.  When I
> resume (take the pump off "suspend"), does the pump still deliver the
> full basal amount for that hour, only in different amounts and at
> different intervals?  Or do I lose my basal for the period during
> which the pump was in "suspend" mode?

Yes, it is inactive when in "suspend" mode. In other words OFF.

Ted Quick
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted