Re: [IP] Humalog and Pregnancy

> From: John Neale <email @ redacted>

> I've no idea if insulin crosses the placenta, but given that a small
> number of people have a bad allergy to Humalog, how would you know if
> your baby was suffering a nasty allergic reaction? Wait until it was born
> malformed?

Insulin does not cross the placenta, although glucose does. The fetus makes
its own insulin.

I think that the hesitation to prescribe Humalog is just a "safety"
precaution on the part of some doctors. It hasn't been tested. For that
matter, Humalog hasn't officially been tested for use in pumps...

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted