Re: [IP] Humalog and Pregnancy

> I am 13 weeks pregnant and have been on humalog for about 3 weeks now.  I am
> waiting for insurance to approve my mini med pump and then my doctor says that
> I will use humalog in my pump too.  My doctor says that there is no known harm
> in using humalog during pregnancy there just have not been many studies on it
> since it is so new.

So what's the feeling about this then? Foetuses are MUCH more sensitive
to drugs taken by the mother, and so the regulations are correspondingly
MUCH tighter before drugs are authorised for use by pregnent women.

I've no idea if insulin crosses the placenta, but given that a small
number of people have a bad allergy to Humalog, how would you know if
your baby was suffering a nasty allergic reaction? Wait until it was
born malformed?

I accept that the lower HbA1c most pregnent women can get on Humalog
substantially lowers the risk of foetal malformation caused by high bgs,
but I can understand doctors been very cautious until it has been
stringently checked that Humalog does not cause foetal problems in even
a tiny proportion of pregnancies.

mailto:email @ redacted

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted