Re: [IP] I can't explain this...

> ok... I've been doing this for a while (watching sugars that is..) and I
> have noticed a response to -- of all things -- coffee.  I don't
> understand it.... there isn't anything *in* coffee...except caffiene..
> yet other caffinated beverages (diet sodas) don't have the same affect...
> so I think I can rule out caffine pretty easy.  I have talked to some
> other diabetics that have had similar experiences, but I don't find the
> problem documented anywhere.... has anyone else noticed thi phenomena?
> If so do you know why it happens?  -- oh... when I say "a response" I
> mean my sugars go high...I put two packs of equal in it, and some non
> dairy creamer...supposedly virtually calorie free. (and I use very little)...

Yes, yes, yes! Me too. Coffee sends my bg high, way way in excess of the
milk I use. Like you, I've never found this mentioned in any diabetes
literature. It seems to be most pronounced when I drink coffee on an
empty stomach. I will usually take a unit of insulin to cover a large
coffee, but it's real guess-work.

There is an explanation. The chemicals in all the caffeine drinks:
coffee, tea, Coke etc are very complex, and all these drinks do
different things to me. Tea makes me excitable and exhausted. Coffee
picks me up just nicely, and helps me concentrate. It's not just the
caffeine that does it - it's all the other funny chemicals there. And
sometimes these effects come and go over time. But coffee can prompt
your adrenal glands to pump out adrenaline, and this then causes your
liver and muscles to dump their stored glucose into the blood stream.
This is standard medical stuff. So why the "coffee effect" is not widely
acknowledged I don't know.

(who likes his coffee the same way as his women - hot, sweet, strong and
black!!!) <---joke BTW
mailto:email @ redacted

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted