[IP] Re: leg jerks, etc. with low bgs

Kirez Korgan wrote:

> BTW, Celia, I also had a recent hypo on my bike. I don't bike much so I
> haven't had experiences with these.... Fortunately I remained coherent enough to
> figure
> it out when my body started doing really weird things: my arms started
> having spasms, and the spasms started extending themselves into my torso,
> about the time I jerkily walked into my local diner and got a spaghetti
> dinner and sweet iced tea really fast.

For all of my 29.3 on subQ insulin, I have tended to have these "jerks" when my bg
goes low when exercising. I still remember how terrified I was the first time this
happened - I thought that I must have been hit with Parkinson's disease at the
ripe old age of 12! Soon I realized that food helped, and I came to think  that
the jerks were a result of  just being at a very low bg level when doing a
repetetive exercise (Certainly I have been measured at levels around 1mmol/lire
(18 mg/dl) after such incidents). More recently, though, I have one piece of data
which contradicts this belief. In particular, during one 5 km run this winter, I
hit the jerks, stopped immediately and measured my bg level (and, no, I don't
usually carry a meter with me when running - I was in transit). I was surprised to
see a reading of 4.0 mm/l (72 mg/dl). There was nothing wrong with that! Anyway,
there was no way that I was going anywhere, and I figured there would be something
interesting to learn, so I just sat there (actually in the lobby of a hospital
which I was just in front of when the problem hit!) and retested 5 minutes later.
This time I measured 3.1 mm/l )(56 mg/dl)(a 44% drop), and in another 10 minutes,
2.4 mm/l (aka 43 mg/dl)(a further 44% decrease). At this point, I  took in  some

So, it's now my belief that these kind of symptoms are a combination of a quickly
dropping bg level occurring during the performance of a repetetive exercise. Does
anybody else have any data that might support or contradict this idea?

> When it happened, I was immediately thinking of all of you here on IP --
> and I didn't want to tell about it because I was ashamed, and it was at the
> same time that we were having that discussion on diabetics being
> responsible for their hypos, etc.

Gee, Kirez - no reason to be ashamed! There's no question that many of us get
surprised by our bodies at certain times, despite our best attempts. I think we
should just be very careful, observant, analytical,  adaptive (modify our
lifestyles to avoid problems), run our lives in a way that we don't endanger
others, and accept responsibility for our actions. That would be quite enough!

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted