Re: [IP] Traveling

Lori,

I just returned from a one month honeymoon to Ireland and Wales.  Ireland is a
very meat eating country although fish (still protein though) is pretty easy to
find too.  Like you I usually eat lots and lots of veggies in all forms (though
not the 1970's  "vegetarian" stuff) since I leave in the SF Bay Area in a very
food conscious neighborhood.  Irish food is high in fat, high in protein and
when they eat healthier foods they tend to be based on the old fashioned French
(continental?) cream sauce style. In the big cities more vegetarian food and
international food is available (including salads -- which they call "tossed" or
"leafy") although it does often come in cream sauce.  If you are used to non fat
yogurt and the like, outside of Dublin it doesn't seem to exist.  On the up
side, I found meat surprisingly easy to avoid.  Worse case scenario you can
always order a pub full meal and not eat the meat (there is more food than you'd
want anyway:-)).  Chicken is common and often less fatty than other choices.
When they serve "salad" it tends to be what we would call cole slaw or some
veggies with a heavy mayo on them.
    I also have gastro problems and thought perhaps all those proponents of more
fat and protein for a more regular bg curve might have a point.  For me, they
didn't.  By the end of the trip the vomiting and naseau were getting bad.  If I
could do it again, I would brainwash myself to eat very small meals (hard b/c we
were on a tight budget and trying to eat twice a day with grocery stuff to
supplement, hiking and well, they always look so good at the beginning), skip
the irish breakfast at the b&B and just eat cornflakes -- even with whole milk
that is plenty of slow stuff for me.  Sometimes buying lunch at the grocery
store helped a bit.
    Sounds like your diet is more like mine.  I'd love to know what you have
discovered about managing the gastroparesis.

Ruth