[IP] running on low

	Thank you for the kind words.

	About your legs giving way -- I'm tempted to ask how much muscle you have
in your thighs, and whether you think you've a good mix of red and white
muscle, or are entirely red muscle -- red muscle being for long-lasting,
repetitive activities, white muscle being for power. I could tell your mix
by looking at your body shape, but you'll have to offer the info through
this medium.
	I'm thinking -- either your knees buckle as a nervous reaction, because of
the nervous system being effected; or you don't have a mix of muscle, and
the red muscle is giving out... but I really don't know enough about this,
so it's wild speculation.
	Hypos effect people in such radically different ways. I'm always thinking
about what it does to my brain, and I haven't thought much or taken much
notice of what it's doing to my body.
	But no, I seem to be able to run while hypo, and in fact, a few weeks ago
I went on an 8.5 mile run, and I started out feeling absolutely great. But
at about mile 5 I started to notice some funny hypo symptoms. I started
losing feeling in my legs, starting around my shins and spreading higher.
My mind was perfectly clear and judgment was good, which is what scares me
in  hypos, so I didn't pull out a power bar just yet; I let it go and kept
	Pretty soon I had lost feeling almost all the way to my shoulders. I
couldn't feel my lower body (which means danger of a misplaced step or
twisted ankle) but I was still running -- it was the eeriest sensation: I
was a disembodied head floating along in the air, with absolutely no
perception of doing any activity! I didn't feel that I was breathing hard
-- I felt like I might as well be sitting on the couch. It seemed really
strange that my surroundings were moving by me so quickly, since my body
felt like it was literally doing nothing. All the while, this still felt
like a really great run - I felt awesome, tons of energy, and it was my
first good run in a while.

	This fascinated the hell out of me, so to experiment, I started picking
up the pace, working up to a 95% sprint. It worked, and I didn't really
feel much different. But the footing was worrisome and I slowed down.
	My condition stayed this way a while, and about the time I finished I
started getting more feeling back. As I recall, my BG was about 45 or so.
	Other times, I have gotten extremely weak from hypos, and I think that
when I occasionally had bad weight lifting days it was from being hypo.
Maybe you have more uniform reactions than I do.

	At least you get an unequivocal signal that you need to eat smthg quick.
Although it must be a bit scary and really aggravating -- and embarassing
if it draws attention to you.

	Actually, I have noticed that when I'm being active my lows are more
uniform than if I'm not - I usually feel it physically, whereas if I'm not
active, I often won't feel it and my mind will go out first and I'll
suddenly get tired. I can't imagine what the explanation is for our
different hypos, but I sure would love to know.
	When I had the 34 I didn't feel a thing. I was incredibly relaxed except
for being frustrated that I was *in a RACE* and going slow. Apparently I
was low for the entire race; and even after the race, I didn't have much
lactic acid build-up, weakness, or other soreness, so it must not have had
much of an effect on me. Again, I find it weird that we have such different
	Oh -- and last night I went on a training-type, fun run, about 8 miles. I
started off with a BG of 233 (and only had about 3 units of insulin left in
the *tube*, the syringe having been exhausted 15 units earlier) -- and
ended with a BG of 94. I wasn't hypo, but I got some of the ordinary
sensations of a mild hypo, I think just because my BG was dropping.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted