Re: [IP] Omnipod pumps

I am a recent convert to the Omnipod, and I have to give it a double thumbs
up.  Tubeless has already been praised.  It's waterproof so you can just
jump in the shower, or the swimming pool, or the ocean.  (And not have to
adjust for any missed basal!) Finally, and I just discovered this, the
cannula goes in at an angle and after using 90 degree infusion sets
forever, I find that the insulin gets activated much quicker for me.
That's an unexpected bonus.

Disadvantages:  With a "regular" pump, you don't really need to carry
around any insulin, since if there is an infusion set failure, you can just
hook up a new infusion set to the pump.  I always have to carry around a
spare vial just in case.   I have had one pod failure.   Finally, and this
could just be me, but when I remove the pod I have a bit of a welt on my
skin that takes a while to clear up.  This happened very rarely with my
prior pump.  (Inset like infusion set).  The shock of the cannula entering
is a little worse on the Omnipod but that only lasts a few seconds.  I just
started using Lidocaine alcohol pads and that solves the problem.

Oh, and I hate the interface on the controller.  It's very clumsy and takes
a ton of keystrokes to deliver a bolus.

John H