RE: [IP] Hypoglycemia Unawareness question

Hypoglycemia is probably like an alcoholic.  In both cases a diabetic
doesn't recognize his or her lows and an alcoholic not knowing they are
drunk.  In my case diabetic lows became hard to recognize do to age.  I have
been told by a couple of endo's that our bodies adjust to the lows because
of the frequency of having them.  Having less lows over a longer period of
time I think will help the body recognize that you are having a low.
Nocturnal Hypoglycemia is my worst enemy.  I can usually recognize have a
low while awake but at night I am dependent upon setting a clock at 2:00 AM
just to make sure.  I tend to run low at the time of the morning and many of
times required me taking orange juice just so that I don't have a
hypoglycemic episode.  I found some info on the internet that you may find
interesting to note.

 Hypoglycemia unawareness - Hypoglycemia unawareness occurs when you do not
have the early symptoms of low blood sugar. As a result, you cannot respond
in the early stages, and severe signs of low blood sugar, such as passing
out or seizures are more likely. Being unaware of low blood sugar is a
common occurrence, especially in people who have had type 1 diabetes for
greater than 5 to 10 years.

Hypoglycemia and hypoglycemia unawareness occur more frequently in people
who tightly control their blood sugar levels with insulin (called intensive
therapy).

People who drink excessive amounts of alcohol, are tired, or who take a
beta-blocker (commonly used to control high blood pressure) may not notice
their low blood sugar symptoms, or may not recognize that the symptoms are
due to low blood sugar.

Hypoglycemia unawareness can also occur in people who take certain oral
diabetes medications (eg, MicronaseR [glyburide]), especially in elderly
people with heart or kidney disease.

Nocturnal hypoglycemia - Low blood sugar that occurs when you are sleeping
(nocturnal hypoglycemia) can disrupt sleep but often goes unrecognized.
Nocturnal hypoglycemia is a form of hypoglycemia unawareness. Thus, if you
have nocturnal hypoglycemia, you are less likely to have symptoms that alert
you to the need for treatment. Nocturnal hypoglycemia can be difficult to
diagnose, and can increase the risk of hypoglycemia unawareness in the 48 to
72 hours that follow.

This past fall, I got to experience this first hand and it was not fun to be
awakened by paramedics while lying on the bathroom floor. I am T2, dx 20 yrs
ago, insulin for about the past 15 years. I have ALWAYS been quite aware of
lows or even rapid drops from a higher number to a normal number.

My question - do you or have you - regained awareness? and if so, how long
did it take. Since the incident I have let things ride on the high side. I
often work evenings and weekends alone, and though I have a roommate (bless
her, she was the one who found me in the floor), we often don't see each
other for days, depending on work schedules.
I am not so interested in forcing a low blood sugar to find out if I can
notice it.

Tina