[IP] HR3710: Medicare CGM Coverage Act

Representative Carol Shea-Porter (D-NH, 1st  District) has introduced a bill
in Congress:  HR3710 Medicare CGM Coverage  Act.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr3710 This is a very
straightforward bill that  will benefit many of us and SAVE taxpayers money!
CMS has refused  to change the ridiculous policy based on policy articles,
such as NHIC A33614,  which deny coverage because CGM is considered
precautionary.  This bill  will override the bureaucratic refusal to make a
common sense, cost  effective change to this outdated regulation.
The chances of this bill  getting through two committees, passing in the House
of Representatives and  then going through the same process in the Senate are
slim.  However,  this is not a partisan bill.  Is there anybody who lives in
New  Hampshire who could go to Rep. Shea-Porter's office and let her know  how
much you appreciate her support for this cause?
All of us who have been  frustrated by Medicare's lack of CGM coverage now
have a bill for which we  can advocate.  Call, write, or visit your local
Representative's and  Senators' offices and ask for their support.  If each of
us can get our  representatives to co-sponsor and/or support this bill then
maybe we can get it passed.
This bill has no  downside!  It will help prevent the complications of severe
hypoglycemia  such as coma, seizures, cognitive impairment, and untimely
death.  It  is cost effective because it will prevent emergency room visits
and  hospitalization for many of us.  It will also help to offset the cost by
allowing us to use fewer test strips.
How about it?  Am I  crazy or is this worth an all out effort to get this bill
passed?  Many of  us could do something to help.  If we do nothing this bill
will die and we  will be complaining about lack of coverage for many years to
come.
You can read about this bill in Gary Scheiner's Diabetes  Bites for January,
2014, on page 7.  The website is http://www.integrateddiabetes.com/
Jerry Smith
Rochester, NY