From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Urb Anism
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2014 3:36 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Completely bummed

Here's how I did it. I would make sure I scrubbed the insertion site when I
took my shower that day, with a rough wash cloth or loofa--a bit of
exfoliation for better adhesion. Then, fill the reservoir for the number of
days of insulin I wanted to use the set (I reused reservoirs also). See your
daily use on the pump, multiply by number days you need to use the set, etc.

I cleaned the insertion site thoroughly as always. Everything else was the
same, mainly more insulin in the reservoir. There are other Pumpers who do
this. I did it with very few ill effects: a couple of times, absorption was
reduced. A few other times, the site became slightly inflamed, and I removed
the set. Oddly enough, the very last time I did this, both happened
simultaneously. (This only happened that one time, thank goodness).
Extended use worked better on my torso than on alternative sites.

You probably won't have to keep the sets in for as long as I did. (!) I have
heard of people using sets for MUCH longer than I ever did, however, with no
ill effects. Even an additional day can extend supplies. I had zero
noticeable effects after one additional day, regardless of the site. In
general, I had very few noticeable effects with extended use of infusion
sets, but there are unseen effects such as scarring, the aforementioned
absorption issues, and potential infection. I can honestly say, from
personal experience, that these are unlikely. YMMV!

As soon as I got a pump, I stopped having to take 7 or 8 shots a day.
Lantus and its friends didn't work. The pump and several basals did. So I
did what I had to to stay on it. I hope your situation looks brighter soon.
You came to a wonderful forum for help to keep pumping. You might get told
off, and quoted out of context, but you will get help!

Good luck!

<email @ redacted<javascript:;>>