Re: [IP] exercising

 Managing exercise is hands down for me the most challenging and frustrating
part of managing my T-1 diabetes.

 I need to exercise to stay sane, healthy, and also manage my fasting sugars. I
can't keep a straight line on my Dex while sleeping if I don't work out at least
every other day.

 Also, I'm 49 and my father died from heart disease when he was 53. I have all
the risk factors. So I need to exercise.

 It works too. I took an executive-level physical that included a sonogram of my
heart while working the treadmill during a stress test. It was amazing to see
the valves opening and closing at a 180 pulse rate. The cardiologist said I have
the heart of a 20 year-old. My calcium score was 0. That's ZERO. No arterial
disease at all.

 Yet I struggle to keep my A1-Cs in the sevens. Failing to get the exercise
right is a big part.

 Currently I am having a great deal of luck by exercising 3-4 hours after my
lunch bolus, going into the gym with 2-3 units of the bolus IOB, good sugar
(100-150) and dissolving 2 tablespoons of powdered dextrose (18 carbs) in my
water bottle and drinking it as I go, while monitoring my Dexcomm.

 I use a roller and/or lacrosse ball to do soft tissue work, then stretch, then
lift weights, then do an intense metabolic conditioning routine (20 minutes of
serious exertion), then stretch again.

 Does it always work out? No. If I go low I have to stop and drink some more
dextrose.

Buster in MD