Re: Subject: Re: [IP] Animas, test strips, pump supplies, Medicare and CCS

 I'm a type 2 and my BG this week has ranged from the 40s to over 200, with a
pump and with CGM. I'm adjusting basals like crazy trying to figure out what's
going on - hormones? I'm menopausal. Very frustrating. I don't want to think
about what this would be like without these tools. Test strips alone would make
it a lot more difficult, but without test strips, impossible!

  Type of diabetes doesn't dictate what kind of care and supplies you need. Some
type 1s do fine without pumps. A coworker with type 1 has no interest in a pump
- thinks it's way too invasive and requires way too much work. He's had diabetes
for 50+ years with no complications. Some type 2s would be and are in very bad
shape without pumps.

 I run two basal patterns because I work midnights 5 days a week. My morning
basals are more than three times what my lowest basals are. Lantus never worked
for me.

 Medicare, when I get there, will probably not pay for a pump and supplies for
me - deciding that if my pancreas produces any insulin, I don't need it.

Stacey M

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 2, 2014, at 16:57, d-d <email @ redacted> wrote:
>
 > I agree. A pump is a tool. I can manage with it, and only slightly less well
without. What I find difficult to do is manage without any testing supplies at
all. Either a CGMS and a few test strips or a lot of test strips, neither of
which Medicare seems to feel that seniors need. Does Medicare feel that Type 1's
turn into Type 2's at the age of 40? Possibly. There used to be a nurse at the
county jail who thought that way. She actually killed an inmate by withholding
insulin from him. Does Medicare feel the only diabetics who reach the age of 60+
are Type 2's? Perhaps. When Medicare started in 1964, many Type 1 diabetics died
within 5 or 10 years after Dx and with most cases 'juvenile' diabetes discovered
at the ages of 10-15, guess what?

 > Knowing what your blood glucose level is power, either by looking at a CGMS
screen or by sticking your finger. That gives you the power to treat that level,
either by pushing a few buttons on a pump or by injecting insulin with a
syringe.