Re: Subject: Re: [IP] Animas, test strips, pump supplies, Medicare and CCS

 If there's one thing those of us on this forum should recognize, it is that
there is no such thing as a generic diabetic. The best I was EVER able to do on
shots (5+ a day) was an a1c of 7.9 (and that was the only time I got below 8.)
With a pump I dropped almost at once to below 7, and my last test earned me a
lecture from the doctor because it was under 5. Why? I happen to be one of those
people with a pronounced dawn phenomena--my basal varies over the day by almost
a factor of 2. Lantus cannot provide an adequate basal when needs vary that
much.
 Last time I was in the hospital I explained this to the doctor in charge and
finally managed to get a bargain where the nurse woke me up for a finger prick
every 2 hours, and I corrected using the pump under her supervision. By 24 hours
the doctor was amazed at how steady my blood glucose was staying and backed off.
My major problem was the fact that it was obvious that the hospital dietitian
clearly did not understand portion control and was giving me totally wrong
information on carbohydrate content. I had to estimate that.
On Jan 2, 2014, at 12:57 PM, d-d wrote:

 > I agree. A pump is a tool. I can manage with it, and only slightly less well
without. What I find difficult to do is manage without any testing supplies at
all. Either a CGMS and a few test strips or a lot of test strips, neither of
which Medicare seems to feel that seniors need. Does Medicare feel that Type 1's
turn into Type 2's at the age of 40? Possibly. There used to be a nurse at the
county jail who thought that way. She actually killed an inmate by withholding
insulin from him. Does Medicare feel the only diabetics who reach the age of 60+
are Type 2's? Perhaps. When Medicare started in 1964, many Type 1 diabetics died
within 5 or 10 years after Dx and with most cases 'juvenile' diabetes discovered
at the ages of 10-15, guess what?

 > Knowing what your blood glucose level is power, either by looking at a CGMS
screen or by sticking your finger. That gives you the power to treat that level,
either by pushing a few buttons on a pump or by injecting insulin with a
syringe.