Re: [IP] Re: new pump = new problems? Say it isn't so!!!

Barbara,

Are you using the CGMS?  Some of the new features on the Revel for CGMS
include predictive alerts.  I've been using my Revel for close to 3 years and
I have to admit I wasn't really sure how to prgram for the predictive alerts.
I put in some settings and I did tweak them a couple of times after that and
it seems to be working out okay for the most part.  You can also silence
any/all of the CGMS alarms for a set period of time.

For the pump functions, the biggest change is you can now set basal rates in
.025 unit increments (your 522 goes in .05 steps).  You can also set boluses
in smaller increments.  That part confused a lot of people when the Revel
first came out but it's really not hard to set up.  You can bolus in as little
as .025 units (1/40th of a unit) but that works only if the total bolus is
less than 1 unit.  Between 1 -9.95 units, you can go in .05 increments (1/20th
of a unit).  If the bolus is 10 units or more, you can only set it in .1 unit
steps, which is the same as your current pump.  You do have to set up your
preferred increment first in the Bolus Wizard setup, the pump won't
automatically calculate to the nearest .025 unit if you're taking a small
bolus.  Once you set it up, it will remember and will calculate your bolus to
the smallest step possible depending on your total bolus.  Having the smaller
basal & bolus increments really is great.

You can also view IOB (insulin on board) whenever you want.  It will be on the
Home screen, and if you also have the Easy Bolus function turned on you can
just press the Up arrow once to view IOB.  I find that is much easier as the
Home screen can be cluttered and you might have to scroll down to see it.
There is also a missed bolus reminder you can set up (I have that feature
turned off), where if you don't bolus during a certain time of day it will ask
you if you forgot.  Since I don't eat at the same time every day this would
just annoy me with extra alarms.

Another great feature is the Capture Event menu.  You can use it to enter
carbs that you eat for corrections, insulin that you've taken via syringe, you
can enter BGs there if you're not using one of the linked meters and you can
also put in an exercise marker that will show up on carelink reports.

It really isn't that hard to set up all of the new features.  You can also
keep them turned off and the pump will behave pretty much exactly like your
522.  There are a couple of extra warning/instruction screens that come up
when rewinding the pump and priming a set.  Those you can't turn off but it's
just a matter of pressing ACT to go to the next step.

 --
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987

I am upgrading from a Medtronic Paradigm 522 to the Revel 923 (I had not